Voting Absentee/Out of State

Yale students have the option to register and vote in either New Haven or their home state. Follow these instructions to register and vote in your home state:


  • You should register to vote using your home address. Once registered, request an absentee ballot
  • Many states require absentee ballot applications to be submitted by mail. Yale College students can visit their Residential College Office to print and mail their forms free of charge. Stamps and envelopes for voting mail are also available in the offices. Yale College students requesting absentee ballots should be aware that their residential college offices will accept election mail. Undergraduate students may send absentee ballots to their Residential College (Head of College) office address as their official local address. *(Note: Only student mail related to voting may be sent to these address; other forms of mail should not be sent there).
  • Please be aware that deadlines for requesting and returning an absentee ballot are often long before election day. To see deadlines for your state, please visit the  Campus Vote Project website. To find the address for your local election office, use the Democracy Works website. To find your state’s official election websites, visit the How To Vote website.
  • We recommend you mail in your completed absentee ballots no later than 2 weeks before election day.
  • For more state-specific information, please refer to your state’s information document.